Happy Father’s Day! Today I celebrate the amazing men in my life. I married an awesome man because of my father.
My dad taught me:
- You are never too old to learn something new. At 84, I just saw a picture of him working out on a stationary bicycle.
- Walking is a great way to keep fit, meet people and recharge. To this day he enjoys his daily walks.
- A sense of adventure. Growing up he would pile us into the car and take us camping without letting us know where we were going. It was a surprise vacation every time.
- It is the littlest things that make the biggest impact. He would set up my mom’s coffee every morning ready to pour when she got up.
- Do not be afraid to show affection. He was not afraid to let us kids see him hug and kiss my mom when he got home each night.
- I was smart. I remember sitting on his lap when I was in kindergarten and he would teach me to read my older brother’s Grade 1 reader. His praise gave me confidence.
- I was special. He allowed me to wake up early with him to make his lunch. One cheese sandwich and one peanut butter and jam. Talk about a WIN/WIN. I had quiet time with him and he had a lunch. He must have really loved me to accept my childlike creations.
To all the dads to be, dads, granddads and great granddads – THANK YOU. Have an awesome Father’s Day!